October 1, 2020 – September 30, 2022
The COVID-19 pandemic situation has resulted in the position and role of Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) in Indonesia becoming increasingly weak. This condition resulted in a reduction in the supervisory function of CSOs through public policy advocacy and realizing fair and sustainable development. The conditions faced during the COVID-19 pandemic resulted in the vulnerability of CSOs in Indonesia in the aspect of organizational sustainability. On the other hand, this condition has accelerated the evolution of CSOs in Indonesia to be able to access domestic funding sources and is supported by increased organizational capacity and performance in an accountable manner, including the use of digital technology to support program implementation.
This program aims to promote the joint evolution of Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) in Indonesia in increasing organizational resilience in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic and other crises and encouraging collective action in implementing sustainable development. Specifically, this program is designed to achieve the goal of strengthening a conducive environment and mobilizing local resources for CSOs in Indonesia in overcoming the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, and supporting the government in accelerating progress towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (Tujuan Pembangunan Berkelanjutan /TPB) in Indonesia.
The program will be implemented in 34 provinces reached through a digital implementation approach with target groups consisting of: (a) 200 local CSOs in Indonesia; (b) Government (Committee for Handling COVID-19 and National Economic Recovery, BNPB, Bappenas, Ministry of Law and Human Rights, Ministry of Social Affairs, Ministry of Home Affairs, LKPP, OJK, and the Secretariat of Indonesian TPB; and (c) private sector (companies / associations) private sector, philanthropic organizations, and digital social service providers.
Through program intervention it is hoped that: (1) enhancing the position and role of CSOs in implementing programs that are responsive to the handling of COVID-19 and the availability of funding mechanisms in emergencies by strengthening cooperation with the government at the national and local levels; (2) increasing government policy support and encouraging private sector initiatives to mobilize needed local resources and public funding support for the sustainability of CSO organizations in Indonesia.
The main activities and outcomes that will be produced include:
- Increase CSO cooperation with the government in responding to the socio-economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Increasing the crisis adaptation capacity of CSOs in Indonesia by improving the internal governance structure and overall strategic planning, networks, and accelerating the digital transformation of CSOs in Indonesia.
- Support the development of strategies for mobilizing local resources and diversifying sources of funding for operational efficiency and financial sustainability of CSOs in Indonesia.
- Promote innovative investment through technology development for organizational transformation and encourage digitalization of CSOs in Indonesia.
- Strengthening networks and collaboration with CSOs in Indonesia in an effective and accountable manner in responding to community needs in times of emergency.
This program is supported by European Commission based document Agreement CSO-LA/2020/418-788with total funding support of EUR 255,000